Saturday, October 20, 2012

Composition Project 1 - Week 6

In just under an hour I am going to attend the first rehearsal of my piece with Andrew and Jenny. I am very excited and nervous. Perhaps the balance will be all wrong, or maybe it'll be just how I think it'll sound. My time this week was spent really editing the first two pieces for performance. Above that, I spent a lot of time thinking of names and getting fonts I thought were attractive. The piece's name is "Sparks Scattering," an image associate with a clash of elements, and since my piece is about a fight of sorts I thought it was appropriate. I had been thinking that I hadn't really been liking the way my piece had been turning out, but when I finished the polished score, and listened to it once more, I have to say I'm very proud of what I have accomplished so far. There are some very cool parts, and I am proud that I have been able to stick with the atonal idea and attach it to a story that I feel can be told via the music.


That said, the performance is this Thursday. I am having a bit of a lack of creativity for the third movement, but I know it will come to me this weekend. It sort of has to! The concept is all there, just executing a logical progression through the movement is proving to be a challenge. I have scraped what I have written twice now. Third time's the charm they say!

Regarding the next project, I like the idea of rethinking a musical cliché. I might do something with flutes and tubas, or tuba with multiphonics. I've just been messing with ideas in my head, thinking of concepts. The sooner I know what I'm doing, the better.

Until next week...!



No comments:

Post a Comment