Friday, September 21, 2012

Composition Project 1 - Week 2

The different levels that everyone's pieces are taking really amaze me. I really enjoyed Vanessa's piece this week. I'm excited to hear the end product.

I was a bit nervous to bring my piece in this week. It was sparse, for an instrument I haven't written before, and my first time really receiving critiques from my peers. However, I was proud of the result, like it or not, and have been having fun with it. Luckily, the positive and helpful responses of my peers only boosted my confidence and drives me forward to keep working hard on making this a successful piece.

I was worried with the contrast between the section at m. 1 and m. 4, but apparently it was connected enough to be understood and enjoyed. I was happy with that. Most of the feedback I received revolved around score cleanliness actually. Dynamics for the left hand, voicing of chords, making chords easier to read, all in the piano. I agree totally with all of these and will be implementing them. Dr. Ross and Andrew N. both thought my guitar part was, for the most part, appropriate by the looks of it. I was reminded to write what I want, really, and figure out the specifics later. And also to use the guitar to its full potential (ie, not just linear lines, with a few chords here or there). I'm looking to call on some "secondary techniques" (if you can call them that) to use on the guitar. I'll be sure to discuss those types of things with Andrew. I thought of picking up the piece from the dark place where I left it at, but Dr. Ross made the good suggestion of doing that in my next piece. Looking forward to it!

Until next week...!

No comments:

Post a Comment